’67 Cal Look Beetle
Body: Right-hand drive Savannah Beige Beetle
Interior: Bernard Newbury plaid upholstery, 4-pint roll cage, Gene Berg shifter Engine: 2007cc
Suspension: 2” narrowed beam, dropped spindles; rear end turned on splines
Brakes: CSP wide-5 VW discs on the front and rear drums
Wheel and tyres: Flat 4 BRM replicas
How's this for a slice of Cal Look history?
In the early ’90s the UK had its own interpretation of what a California Look car should be, but this example was modified following the same ideology as the
California-based VW Look Club, Der Kleiner Panzers of the 1970s. With only two previous owners from new, the second, being Ivan McCutcheon, the former editor of VolksWorld magazine, this has to be one of the most well-known Savannah Beige ’67 Beetles on the planet, and one of the most inspirational.
With its nose-down rake, big engine, stock colours and factory bright work, it was one of the first Old School California Look Beetles built in Europe.
Unless you know your VWs you might think it’s just a mildly modified Beetle, but underneath the highly sought-after Karmann Cabriolet deck lid lurks the key ingredient of any Cal Looker, a two-litre V8 eater.
Cal Lookers were built to embarrass Detroit muscle cars at the lights and this one has all of the ingredients to do precisely that. The engine spec ticks all the California Look boxes, so we’re talking Weber 48IDA carburettors, a Gene Berg 78mm forged crank, straight cut cam gears, full flow oiling and all the happy stuff.
Power is delivered to the rear wheels via a Cog Box close ratio gearbox, super diff and Sway-A-Way race axles. Up front there’s an original VW front beam that’s been narrowed by two inches and fitted with adjusters, CB forged dropped spindles, and a CSP front disc brake conversion.
The interior features a Beetle specific uprated speedometer made by VDO of Germany, an original four-spoke Britannia steering wheel, an early style Gene Berg locking gear shifter, plus a chromed four-point roll cage and Bernard Newbury trimmed seats. You’ll also find 16 of the original and now legendary Californian Bug-In event dash plaques dating from in 1975 through to 1983.
If you’re looking for the archetypal Cal Looker, you won’t find better.
Mechanical changes are as follows;
- New Old Stock 1967 front beam has been narrowed by 2 inches and fitted with adjusters,
- CB forged dropped spindles,
- CSP front disc conversion,
- Spax Gas Adjustable shocks,
- Sway-A-Way anti roll bar.
- Electric fuel pump.
- CSP rear trapeze bar.
- Gene Berg rubber mounted high performance streetcar weld on gearbox front mount.
- Gene Berg engine mounts.
- Gene Berg traction bar.
- Spax Gas Adjustable shocks.
- Cog Box fully built gearbox with close-ratio 1st to 3rd gears, Super Diff, Sway-A-Way race axles.
- External oil cooler with thermostat.
- Engine: 2007cc. Blue printed crankcase/hand machined,
- Gene Berg 78mm forged crank (no longer available),
- Carrilo con rods, Gene Berg straight cut cam gears,
- CB camshaft,
- Gene Berg pushrods, 1.4:1 ratio rockers,
- Pauter Machine B spec Welded and Ported VW 041 cylinder heads with match ported Gene Berg big IDA manifolds,
- NOS Italian Weber 48IDAs,
- Gene Berg oil pump and full flow oiling with System 1 oil filter,
- Gene Berg Equaliser pulley,
- CB billet top pulley,
- Alternator conversion,
- Gene Berg linkage,
- Modified Porsche oil filler with custom made mounting plate and four oil breather pipe mounts,
- Custom billet fuel pump block off with oil breather return,
- Cylindrical oil catch tank mounted above engine,
- Ceramic coated 1/34inch merged header with A1 muffler,
- Crane Cams electronic CDI ignition with XR700 CDI box,
- Converted Bosch 009 with Crane Cams module and Fireball coil